English is the most important subject for all pupils. It enables pupils to access and respond to all other subjects and is key in providing them the opportunity to express their thoughts, feelings and skills across the curriculum.
Children have precisely planned and sequenced English lessons that enable them to:
- develop the breadth of skills required to have a strong command of spoken English
- develop the breadth of skills required to have a strong command of written English
- learn through a clear, systematic approach delivered in daily English lessons
- feel secure in their reading, writing and oracy skills
- have a clear understanding of the expectations of each learning opportunity.
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for pleasure and information
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.